Boy, oh boy have I had an adventure! So the Air Force sent me to Las Vegas a few weeks ago. I've been there A LOT for my job, so it was more work than anything. The good thing about this is that I know all of the good places to go to dinner, drinks, and I have my favorite places to gamble. I got back on Sunday at 2AM. It was pretty nice, though. They chartered a United jet, which had a screen in front of each seat. Free DirecTV, movies, etc. It was great! Well, I got a call on Monday that my job was sending me to Korea for an exercise. They didn't know when, but it was probably going to be in two weeks...
For the next 12 days, I scrambled for information that no one had. I finally got some information the Thursday before I was supposed to leave. This was awesome because I had to mission plan for my checkride that day, fly the mission on Friday, all the while getting ready to leave on Saturday. This involved, among other activities: shots, briefings, computer based training, getting extra gear. It was the most ridiculous 72 hours of my career. So I get to Korea after a 14 hour flight from Dallas to Incheon International Airport.
My buddy and I were traveling together and noticed that the airport wasn't air-conditioned. This became a theme of our trip. Which was unfortunate since Korea is a jungle and it was August! That being said, we got to base and checked into a tent city. Oh, it was awesome! (note sarcasm). My buddy was actually in a tent while I was living in a conex, which is pretty much a semi-trailer. Luckily, these were both air-conditioned. We also had a large shelter that had wi-fi so we could email and call home.
![]() |
| This was where I lived for three weeks. Me...and 9 other guys! |
![]() |
| This was my personal space in the conex. I'm getting too old to sleep in a cot! |
Anyway, there was a typhoon, a tropical storm, lots of hot work spaces. I would go on my 12 hour work shift and be sweating for 8 of those hours. It was nuts! But I finally got back to the airport and onto a 747 to come home. There was a single light bulb out in a single "No smoking" sign that delayed us enough that we landed an hour and a half late in San Francisco. What that meant was about 80% of the plane missed their flights home. What was worse, was that we were all military and had been away from home for three weeks and didn't want to hear that they couldn't get us home! So I spent the night in San Francisco, which wasn't bad. My hotel had a free shuttle to the Fisherman's Warf, which I took advantage of. I had to buy a sweatshirt since it was down right cold that night!
Anyway, I got back to the hotel and slept. I got up at 3AM and got to the airport at 4:30. Well, they didn't know what to do with us all. We were all checked in (and even had some of our luggage) but told us that we had to re-check in...which wasn't right. We had to get into another line on the other end of the terminal that only had 2 people working. Awesome. Then I got behind an Indian family, who smelled, and took forever getting though the security line. I FINALLY got to the gate when the door was about to close and settled into my seat.
I flew to Denver, then flew to Shreveport without any other problems. I thought everything was great...until United lost my luggage in Denver. Of anywhere for my luggage to be lost, I can't believe it was Denver! At this point I wanted to make a joke that probably would have gotten me arrested in an airport, so I refrained. It was, to say the least, the worst airline experience I have ever had.
![]() |
| Cool picture of Alcatraz from Pier 39 |





No comments:
Post a Comment