Rewind back to Thursday, December 4th (3 Days pre-marathon and the end of
2014 blissful peace and quiet): On my
way home from one of Claire’s appointments, I called Patrick to tell him we
were going out to dinner to celebrate a new project I had at work. His
response, “Oh good! Now you have something to keep you busy while I’m
deployed!”
-
Crickets -
I knew 2014 was too good to be true!! But, once again the AF
gods took pity on our poor little souls and kept Patrick state-side in South
Carolina. “That’s a deployment?!?” You
may be asking yourself. Me too. God bless the Air Force. Regardless, at the end
of the day it means I’m flying solo until June.
Let me preface this by saying that, “Yes, Patrick – you are
correct – this really isn’t that bad.”
This will be like any other less-than-stellar life experience – God helps you
forget! Looking back on Patrick’s last deployment, I remember next to nothing.
Perhaps this was because Claire was 5 months old and in the beginning stages of
“I think I’ll hang out at the hospital” phase, Luke was 2 (enough said), and I
had just started a new job. 2015 is a walk in the proverbial deployment park!!
In case you were wondering how we would choose to fill our
time, staying busy highlights include:
- Poop-a-palooza 2015: What better way to get ready for a deployment
than to have Claire go through the never ending cycle of “Should I or should I
not effectively go #2 on a regular basis?” Code for: Until the doctors could
get Claire’s meds balanced correctly, her intestines became a bipolar monster
of ceasing to work (ER visit) to spouting such a spectacular fireworks show
that one monumental experience left remnants in both her hair and between her
toes. No lie. The good news is that 2nd opinion doctor was much more
effective at taming the ugly monster than our original doctor, and now Claire’s
intestines no longer keep us awake for hours at a time each night and the
fireworks shows have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Darn.
-
Therapist-school-paperwork-will-it-ever-end-marathon: Running a physical marathon is a walk in the
park compared to the ridiculous mound of paperwork a child produces when he/she
turns three years old and “ages out” of the state-sponsored early intervention
services and transitions to the local elementary school. This week, we have 14
appointments, and that is a welcome breather after the world-record 17
appointments from three weeks ago. Yes, co-workers, that is why you receive
e-mails from me at the strangest times of day. It may seem odd to work at 4:45
a.m., but at least I can guarantee my work won’t get interrupted by a child,
e-mail, or phone call!
-
Wedding shenanigans: If I could make it to Hawaii by myself with
two baby midgets, surely I could make it to Kansas City with two toddler midgets,
right? Fortunately, the gamble paid off, they were as good as gold, and we
partied our buns off at one of the most beautiful, fun, and energetic weddings
I have been to in a long time. The “baby brother” of one of the old
neighborhood families was getting hitched, and the old gang from Doreen street
reunited for the first time in a decade. It’s weird when your own kids are now
older than the neighbor kids were when I started babysitting them. I feel old.
-
The usual:
When we’re not out seeing the world (Kansas), then you can usually find
us at our usual locations – The zoo, Sea World, or Target. If you are ever unable to track us down, just
ask Luke’s best friend at the Sea World gate, the train conductor at the zoo
train (his cousin has DS), or the nice sample lady at Target where we are, and
I’m positive that one of them can assist. The days just seem too long at home,
so we rotate between our favorite locales, depending on the weather. If we
REALLY want to spice up our lives, we might throw in shopping at La Cantera or
going to the movie theater. PARTY. ANIMALS.
-
Too fun to handle: I know what you’re thinking – they have more fun than they can handle.
Well, I forgot to mention the dishes (by hand due to broken dishwasher),
laundry (it reproduces like bunnies while I sleep), cleaning (dogs and
toddlers, oh my!), oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention that full-time job
that keeps me on my toes, yet offers a very strange sense of stability in my
day.
-
You’re probably thinking that I need a hobby (or
some tequila), and you’re probably right.
No comments:
Post a Comment