Whew...it has been a busy few days of working out the logistics of the next phase of our lives. We got the official word yesterday that Luke has received a slot at the Goldman School in Shreveport. Basically, the purpose of the school is to combine kids that are developing typically and have special needs. Kids have every disability there from Autism to DS to severe physical handicaps. Patrick and I think it is a sensational opportunity because our ultimate goal is for Luke to participate in as many regular classes as possible as he gets older and progresses academically.
In other news, keep your fingers crossed that we have a successful day tomorrow. Our case manager from Early Steps, the state early intervention program, will be visiting our house for Luke's first assessment! She'll evaluate where he is developmentally, and she'll make recommendations for what therapies to start and when we can proceed. It will be nice to get a schedule set up because I'll be heading back to work June 28th, Patrick starts Weapons School (an intense 6 month training program), and we need to make a game plan. Luckily, my boss e-mailed me yesterday to verify that I have free reign on my schedule. I see having Friday afternoons off to be in my near future :)
Hopefully we'll have exciting news after our evaluation tomorrow!
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteThat school sounds like a great opportunity for Luke. I'm anxious to hear how things go with your case manager tomorrow. You are in my thoughts daily. I've been following your blog since Luke was born. I am SO EXCITED to meet the little guy in June and see you and Patrick.
Sarah Huslig
Wow, congratulations guys! Sounds like things are falling into place for the best possible options for the little guy. Looking forward to hearing about the assessment and game plan... Love the pics - he looks so peaceful and happy!=) Let us know, if you need anything!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Stephanie & Jonathan
AWESOME...as for Weapon's School, just prepare to be a single parentas the months progress. I know you can do it!!!
ReplyDelete