When the doctors first gave us the news of Luke's diagnosis the joy of being first-time parents was temporarily shattered. The innocent anticipation of being first-time parents was instantly replaced with looming questions. How long would he have to stay in intensive care? Would he live a normal life? How were we going to tell our family and friends? More importantly, what would you all say?
Now, after countless phone calls and e-mails, meals, visitors from family and friends, we couldn't possibly be more grateful. Instead of looking at Luke's diagnosis as a misfortune, each and every one of you rejoiced in his arrival, prayed for a speedy recovery, celebrated his homecoming, and now each day you continue to follow his story here on the blog. In less than 5 weeks, over 3000 times you've all logged in to see Luke's progress and to offer your support and words of encouragement. For this, you will never know how much it means to us.
Last night when I was holding Luke in my arms during his 4 a.m. feeding, I realized several things. Luke looks just like his dad, widow's peak and all. He is a boy who likes his routine - feedings, play time, two poops in a row, and being snuggled back to sleep. Patrick and I can decipher his cries, handle getting pooped on, and make smooth trade-offs on responsibilities around the house. In five weeks, we have the answers to our simple questions from before his birth.
As is the case for any baby, the future remains uncertain. We may not know exactly when Luke will hit different developmental milestones, how he'll do in school, or what type of adulthood he may experience, but then again, no new parent knows the exact answers to those questions. Just as you all celebrated Luke's arrival with unconditional acceptance, your support allowed Patrick and I the chance to piece together our emotions and realize that not having the answers to these bigger questions is perfectly okay.
Thanks for all the latest pics! Today's snapshot is one of my favorites...he looks so different! Maybe it's because his eyes are open! Good thing he likes his stroller, because Daddy LOVES Luke's stroller. I guess Patrick would just push it empty if Luke wouldn't adjust to it!
ReplyDelete"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” - Shel Silverstein...thought of this quote while reading your post. Love the truth in it not only for Luke and my babies, but for all of us!
ReplyDeleteHe is so adorable! Love you guys
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie! I can just hear my girls who are enjoying summer vacation right now! The girls are following the blog from home at this point. And yes, Patrick, I'm sure that the girls DID take notice of one of Baby Luke's latest ways to keep their Parenting education going! :~) I have not been able to read on a daily basis with the end of school things that had to be done, but look forward to reading along with my girls all the thoughts, experiences, and fun of your family throughout the summer! Keep smiling!
ReplyDeleteI just cried when I read this post! We all LOVE Luke and love you guys and would do anything for you. I can't wait to get down to Shreveport so I can see him!
ReplyDelete