Our Babies

Our Babies
Luke and Claire

"Welcome to Holland"


By Emily Perl Kingsley, 1987. All rights reserved.


I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss. But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Our New Family

When a couple finds out they are pregnant for the first time, they spend nine months envisioning the doctor placing their firstborn in their arms and congratulating them. For us, this vision didn't go exactly according to plan. After three years of marriage and a whirlwind trip backpacking through France, Italy and Spain, Patrick and I returned home from Europe in July 2008 to find out we were expecting our first baby. Nothing was more exhilarating than telling family and close friends that we were finally going to be parents.

To our dismay, on September 24, 2008 the pregnancy ended in miscarriage. Determined to be parents, we went back to step one after we were emotionally and physically healed to "try, try again". Luckily, we quickly conceived by February 2009 only to be devastated when this second pregnancy ended again in miscarriage on April 15, 2009. Due to the unusual nature of the back-to-back losses, we underwent extensive genetic counseling to rule out any problems beyond simple "bad luck". To our relief, everything came back normal, so it was back to square one.

As the old saying goes, "Third time is the charm". After discovering that we were pregnant AGAIN almost exactly one year after our first pregnancy, we held our breath, waiting to see what would happen. Then, on September 10th the doctor changed our life when we saw our firstborn on an ultrasound. Little did we know how much our lives were really about to change.

Fast-forward to April 15th, exactly one year to the day after learning of our second miscarriage. I checked into Willis-Knighton South in Shreveport, LA to deliver my baby. After the easiest labor and delivery on earth, we waited for the doctor to place our baby in our arms. Instead, after some concern about his breathing, he was taken to the NICU for further evaluation. About half an hour later, the neonatal specialist came to confirm not only Respiratory Distress, but also that he suspected that the baby had Down Syndrome.

Needless to say, this is not the moment that we had envisioned for so long. After the initial shock came a torrent of emotions from sadness to anger to fear and everything in between. It literally felt as if someone had hit us in the stomach and all of the air came out of our lungs; we just couldn't believe it. To make it worse, we couldn't go to the NICU to see him.

In the meantime, Patrick and I were going over all of the reasons why Luke couldn't possibly have Down's. We poured over the few pictures that we had the chance to take before he was taken to see if we could see any of the tell-tell signs of Down Syndrome. When Patrick went with his mom up to the NICU to see Luke, the doctor reviewed his concerns, including the potential for lung, heart, and intestinal defects. Patrick asked what physical signs of Down Syndrome he saw in our baby. The primary sign was the extended bridge between the eyes and weak muscle tone among others. It was interesting, as Patrick looked he saw it one minute and then didn't another.

After the blur of emotions on Friday, Saturday proved to be a much more positive day. Not only did the doctor inform us that Luke had NONE of the additional possible defects, but the staff also managed to wean Luke off some of his oxygen. From the emotional standpoint, Jennifer, a nurse at the hospital visited our room to talk about her 15-year-old daughter who has Down's Syndrome. She spent almost an hour talking to us, discussing her own fears, hopes, and experiences when she received the news about her daughter. Then, she showed us pictures of her daughter on the cheerleading team, hanging out with friends, and so forth and our perspectives finally switched. Having a child with Down Syndrome was not "bad" news, simply just different news. As the story above says, we may have "planned for a trip to Italy", but Luke had something else in mind.

As we start this new chapter in our lives as parents, we hope you follow this blog to share in the joy that Luke brings to our lives.

29 comments:

  1. I'm your first follower! Blogs are a great way to keep in touch. I'm glad Luke is doing better everyday. He's probably just as happy that you finally get to hold him as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wild world of blogging! Tears of JOY for you guys and the blessing of Luke in all of our lives!! Can't wait to watch him grow and so thankful we get to do it in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts are with you guys. It will be great to be able to follow Luke's progress here. Someday we can tell him that his blog was the FIRST blog I ever signed to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I just realized the pic is of the 3 of you and you are HOLDING him!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Can't wait to snuggle him myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Melissa, Patrick and Luke. What a beautiful baby, family and blog! I hope we get to see him when we visit Suzi and Ronnie! Joseph, Anna and Luke will have to best times together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa and Patrick, congrats on baby Luke! He is so adorable and I cannot wait to meet, as Blair put it, our "nephew". Thanks for starting the blog! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you are officially a blogger & we from afar get to keep up on Luke:) Can't wait to meet him & praying he gets to come home soon!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post! Look forward to meeting Luke soon and seeing his sweet little face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice picture of the family. I can't wait to see my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for you guys starting a blog!!! Looking forward to keeping up with you guys from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic essay! We're so happy you finally got in some snuggle time. You two are going to be such wonderful parents. Thanks for starting this blog! Can't wait to see you all! Love, the Mahaffeys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luke is an absolute treasure! I never knew it was possible to fall in love with a tiny baby boy just by seeing his first photos on Facebook, but I did! I can't wait to see him. You have been blessed, and you have been given a challenge, but God would not have placed it before you unless He knew that you could do it! We know you can, too! You are all so much in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I hope you get to take him home soon. He is a beautiful baby and hopefully someday (assuming were back home at the same time;) we can meet the lil' fella:) Take care. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa, I had a miscarriage last year, too. Such a devastating loss. I'm excited for your new blessing and hope Luke continues to get healthier and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy that you created this blog for everyone to keep up with your new family! I have been praying for Luke and I hope to continue to read about him getting healthier everyday. He is adorable and I can't wait to meet him as well. Take care of yourselves. ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the "Welcome to Holland" story. As said above there are truley many lovely things to enjoy about Holland and there is going to be so much to enjoy about Luke. He is blessed to have the two of you as parents and you are blessed to have him. Looking forward to seeing pics of him at home in that nice comfy crib. -Virg and Dusty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss you guys!!! Luke has the best parents in the world! I can't wait to get down to Shreveport and meet him officially!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy and welcome to parenthood. What a beautiful metaphor you've used to describe your journey! All I can say is that Holland is a pretty amazing place to be ;-). Amy Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay God! What a blessing to have Luke in your family! And how exciting that you have blog for us to follow! We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa and Patrick, Congratulations on the birth of your son! We, too, have experienced multiple miscarriages before finally having a pregnancy "stick." (We're due in September.) We will be praying for you both and little Luke that he continues to grow stronger each day. If there is anything that Jonathan or I can do for you guys, please let us know! I will be working down at WK South for a while on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting tomorrow, so if I can do something for you while I am there, please let me know! My cell is 426-2383. Looking forward to following your amazing journey via Blogger!
    Blessings and prayers,
    Stephanie and Jonathan "Doc" Ard

    ReplyDelete
  21. Patrick and Melissa,
    What a beautiful story. I have tears in my eyes at the amazing story of your beautiful family. We are so happy for the three of you, Luke is one very lucky guy. Can't wait to continue to follow you all and will keep you guys in our prayers for Luke to make a very fast recovery home! Congratulations!

    Love,
    Dale and Holly Wilds

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can I just tell you how excited I am to be reading a blog from the Godinez FAMILY?! We are so overjoyed for you at Luke's arrival! Although you now face a road different than expected, you two are going to be (heck, you already ARE!) phenomenal parents to Luke. We are so excited to watch Luke grow and develop into an amazing little boy. No matter what 'country' you ended up in, it doesn't change the fact that you two and Luke are loved so much by so many. Hoping he gets to come home soon and you can have all the cuddles you want! Cannot wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing family you are. I've known since I met the two of you that you are truly wonderful people. Thank you for sharing your friendship with me! Luke is so very lucky to have you for his parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay! I finally figured out how to "follow" your absolutely gripping blog! I think Luke's mama should hurry up and start writing her first book! Forget that English teaching business, you've got talent, lady! That's aside from the point though, (my) Patrick and I are so happy for you guys and can't wait to watch you two and Luke all grow together :) He's on the outside now, let the fun begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it. To quote a wonderful friend of mine, "everything happens for a reason. " God has a plan & we are excited for your journey & thrilled to be a part of it. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats!!! Luke is a lucky little boy to have such amazing parents...all our love to the new family of three!
    The Veselka Family

    ReplyDelete
  28. Luke is a beautiful gift from God and we can't wait to meet him. The new family picture is lovely.
    Love you,
    Mary and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations Melissa and Patrick! Luke is the most precious thing I have ever seen...and I know that you two will be amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete